Mission & Goals
The Child Care Planning Council of Yuba and Sutter Counties is a public-private partnership of business, education, community and governments. The mission is to serve as the focal point for the planning and development of accessible, affordable, quality child care programs for the children and families in Yuba and Sutter Counties.
* To promote and enhance the quality and safety of child care and development services through public education, provider education, and provision of support services.
* To increase the supply and accessibility of quality child care and development services through a collaborative interagency approach.
* To develop and implement strategies to identify the changing child care needs of our community.
* To identify and understand all resources available to meet local child care needs.
In 1991, the U.S. Congress established a federal Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG). Each state was allocated funds to assist low-income families with child care and development services. In California, Assembly Bill 2141 was passed, providing suggested structure for Local Child Care and Development Councils.
In 1997, Assembly Bill 1542 was passed establishing welfare reform legislation (CalWORKS) that revised the membership and responsibilities of local planning councils.
The Board of Supervisors and the Superintendent of Schools appoint members of the Child Care and Development Planning Council, establish the terms of appointments, and review and approve needs assessments and local priorities for funding. The Superintendent of Schools has the responsibility as fiscal agent for funds received on behalf of the local planning council.
The Council's major responsibilities are to:
* Assess the child care needs in Yuba and Sutter Counties and develop a long term plan to meet those needs.
* Advise the Board of Supervisors and Superintendent of Schools on our need for child care and development issues.
* Facilitate the exchange of information among part-day programs, including State Preschool and Head Start, with other child care to provide full-day child care.
* Assist the state in the development of a single application and intake form for all federal and state subsidized child care and development programs.
* Design a system to consolidate local child care waiting lists.
* Recommend priorities for child care funding from the California Department of Education, Child Development Division (CDD), when appropriate or requested.
The Council meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 1:00 p.m. All committee and Council meetings are held at the Yuba County Office of Education, Center for Education Office, located at 1104 E Street in Marysville.
* Public Policy Committee meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 10:30 a.m.
* Quality Improvement & Capacity Building Committee meets on the third Wednesday of the month at 1:30 p.m.
* Community Outreach Committee meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 12:30 p.m .
* Executive Steering Committee meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 11:30 a.m.
Members of the public are welcome and encouraged to attend.